Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tutorial with Mr. Omid

Today I had my 1st tutorial session with Mr. Omid. He was not very easy to be understood as he had a thick Iranian accent but I managed some how. After introducing himself he worked on the story of Ovid’s metamorphosis “Pyramus and Thisbe”. As I had already worked on the story with Dr. Edwin during lecture it was quite easy to detect the major points discussed in the story. We were given a task to generate a thesis statement for the story “Pyramus and Thisbe”. To tell the truth I had so much of difficulty in writing the thesis statement. Not knowing how exactly a thesis statement should sound like is not a good situation to be at. After “extensive” question and answer session I finally manage to produce one thesis statement.

“The causes of obsessive desire will bring about suffering which leads to death”

I came up this statement as i felt there few many circumstances/situation that foreshadowed DEATH. So I took that into my advantage and produced a thesis statement. I then joined the class discussion on making every one's thesis statement better. Lucky or unlucky me i had to present first. To my surprise it was okay. Mr.Omid said it was a good thesis statements clear and specific. So I returned to my place with a wide smile. In general i think everyone faced similar problem in creating their statement specific. Most of us had a problem where the statement was too general. The discussion should continue for few more weeks to come as there are 60 of us to present our thesis statement. It was quite boring BUT i did learn from others mistakes. Maybe it could help me in my position paper and not forgetting the research paper.

No comments: