Thursday, July 17, 2008

All about Icarus...

Today we read this short story called “Daedalus and Icarus”. Before discussing it in class I sort of had few assignments on what to do before the reading process. Okay I start by surfing the net to get this painting titled “The Fall of Icarus”. Finding the picture was not difficult at all but finding the correct picture was a struggle I must say. But finally I manage to find the correct painting. Then I went on searching for a poem by W.H Auden. I had no idea what was the relevancy of the painting and the poem to the story that was about to be studied. I read it once before class and saw how the painting and the poem could help in understanding the text better.
During the discussion in class I was asked to identify the story of Icarus in particular. I was surprised to find out how it was easy to imagine the story with the help of other materials like the painting and the poem. Even thought there were some differences from the painting but the painting helps in many ways. I also had an assignment where I had to create a lesson using the picture and a rewritten story of “Icarus”
I teamed up with Soon Mun to create a lesson to teach the story of Icarus. Firstly we rewrote the story. Soon Mun came up with this great idea of rewriting the story from Daedalus's point of view. After completing it we came up with an idea of using the painting as a set induction lesson. We edited the painting by erasing the action of Icarus in the water. Our objective was for the students to guess the possible topic of the lesson. It helps in tapping the correct schemata. In general i enjoyed reading this with the help of visual aids like the painting.

No comments: