Thursday, September 4, 2008

“Apartheid”

The word “Apartheid” still in rings in my head every time I think of this reading text. A few days ago we read a part from Nelson Mandel’s autobiography. This word was used a number of times. Here it means the discrimination of the majority by the minority. Nelson Mandela fought for the freedom of the Blacks. I felt I was able to connect to the text in whole new way because I am considered a minority in this country. Even though I do not go through discrimination on a regular basis but I know how it could feel. I ask myself this question: What could be some of the reasons for using autobiography in a literature classroom? I believe such content helps students’ global awareness. Knowing more on world happening could help them develop value system. Imagine using the traditional literature texts like short story, poems, novel all year around. I am sure students will get bored and loose interest in appreciate literature. There are also considered to be authentic materials which can be analyzed for deeper understanding. In a nutshell before introducing difficult texts like novels teacher can take a tip from autobiography so that learning can take place more smoothly. Till then…

No comments: