Thursday, October 9, 2008

My research paper journey

After meeting my supervisor for some guidance I started to write my research paper. Basically I talked about the similar devices used to develop the theme of dysfunctional family communication. I discussed mainly analyzed the portrayal of the characters and the use of symbols by the authors. I gave simple definition of what is family and what is family communication.Then I continued to talk about the various issues in each of the stories. In O’Neill’s ‘Long Nights Journey into Night’ I discussed about Mary’s morphine addiction; Tyrone, Jamie, and Edmunds’ alcoholism; Tyrone’s frugality; the sons’ attitude toward work and money. And in William’s ‘Street Car Named Desire’ I discussed about the troubled attitude of Stanley toward his wife and Blanche.I then continued with discussing about the symbols and it relation to the statement of dysfunctional family communication. In ‘Long Day’s Journey into Night’the fog is one of the strongest symbols which in many ways assert the family’s fate. Another devise O’Neill uses is Mary’s glasses to symbolized her inability to see thing clearly. She frequently misplaces them, and really doesn't want to find them because that would force her to face reality, which she desperately tries to hide from. The symbolic use of the shadows and cries and the meat is also evidence of poor family communication in Williams’ Street Car Named Desire’. Both plays had great impact to the educational enterprise. They definitely play an important in educating the students in terms of good judgment; respect to ones self, humanizing the educational system as well as creating a better society.I faced many problems in writing this paper and one was finding suitable words when describing. And also faced constant “writers block” but all is done. I am happy with I wrote my paper. I learned to write with organization, better flow and clearly putting my thought into proper words.It’s a great practice to develop more language skills and not forgetting literature skills.

No comments: